Sunday, January 29, 2012

Copeland's II

I returned to Copeland’s as quality control, checking if the great steaks we had the first time could be duplicated.

Copeland’s of New Orleans
3920 Ambassador Caffery.  Lafayette, LA.  70503.
http://www.copelandsofneworleans.com/



12 oz. Prime Top Sirloin, medium rare.

1.  Price.  $20.99 plus $1.00 for minced garlic added.  Steak, one side, and biscuit.

2.  Look


I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sirloin that big.  Usually sirloins are flatter, but this looked like a sirloin filet hybrid.  I was actually secretly hoping I got a giant filet by mistake.  A 12 oz. prime filet?  That would probably cost at least 40 dollars.  But no, it’s just a fat, giant sirloin.  And I had the flash on my camera, which I didn't really need.  I don't think I've ever taken a good picture with the iPhone 4S's flash on.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


Since the shape of the steak was more rounded, it’s hard to cook through to the middle effectively.  But the temperature was close enough to be on the low end of medium rare.  Some people might want to step up their order to medium to avoid the overly-pink and cool center, but I'm ok with a lot of pink, as long as the middle of the steak isn't actually cold and has received some heat.

4.  Taste

The taste of the steak was distinctly sirloin, in that it had very little fat, thus very little flavor.  Yet, it still had a pleasing beefy taste.  Since wasn't overcooked(no danger of that here), there was still plenty of tenderness. 

5.  Seasoning.

The one place this steak could be lacking is the seasoning.  As mentioned in other reviews before, a sirloin isn’t the most flavorful of steaks on its own and takes well to almost any flavor.  That’s why I added the garlic, but still felt under-whelmed and had to reach for the salt and pepper.  The buttery drippings and garlic, plus the added salt and pepper, gave the steak much welcomed flavor and pretty much saved the day.  I’d recommend adding any of the steak toppers Copeland’s offers, or sneak in your own stash of Tony’s.  I wouldn’t be ashamed to ask for sauce either if you’re a sauce person.

6.  Bang for the Buck

All in all, the steak was still pretty successful.  The sirloin will fill you up just as well if you don’t want to spend the extra 6 or 7 dollars(and instead save that for a piece of cheesecake) for the ribeye or filet.  But if you’re going just for a good steak, I’d go for the ribeye, which is still one of the best steaks I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment