Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Applebee's

We’re eatin’ good in the neighborhood today.  I haven’t been to Applebee’s in several years.  And I’m pretty sure I went to one out of town, not the one here in Lafayette.  Is a casual dining establishment known for cheap menu offerings the place to go for steak?  Conventional wisdom would say “No”, but lets investigate.

Applebee’s
5630 Johnston Street. Lafayette, LA.  70503.
http://www.applebees.com/





9 oz House Sirloin, medium rare.

1.  Price.  $12.99.  Steak, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetable.  A full steak meal for under 15 dollars?  That’s Applebee’s business model.  On the ride over, I was wondering, “Does Applebee’s even offer a ribeye?”  Sirloin is probably the cheapest steak you’ll see on a restaurant menu, but to their credit, Applebee’s has about 7 different versions of the sirloin.  By that I mean various toppings, glazes, seasonings on the sirloin.  They do their best to accommodate a need for variety, without breaking their low-priced menu mantra.

2.  Look


3.  Cooked to Doneness


A 9 oz steak isn’t tiny, but it’s not big either.  So considering, getting a pink and juicy medium rare interior was a surprise.

4.  Taste

The house sirloin is pretty vaguely described, but it’s clear enough that this is supposed to be the simple steak.  Basic seasoning with no extravagant glazes or toppings.  It was what it was supposed to be.  Tasted of  minimal salt and pepper, but had a good grill char flavor.  Not fatty like a ribeye, but still tender and flavorful.

5.  Seasoning

Basic steak, basic seasoning.  I had to add a dash of salt and pepper.  I like a well-seasoned steak.  I think with a sirloin, you don’t need to be afraid of adding flavor.  The steak takes the identity of other flavors well, so I’d appreciate a heavier hand with the seasoning.

6.  Bang for the Buck

$12.99?  The steak itself wasn’t bad.  The sides were mediocre to poor.  And Applebee’s has the standard offering of appetizers and drinks.  If you’re craving a steak on a budget, I’d recommend a steakhouse that’s open for lunch.  The lunch menu will usually have lighter, cheaper steaks and you’ll probably atleast have the benefit of being able to choose more than just sirloins.  If you’re craving steak, and you happen to already be at Applebee’s, then give it a go if something interests you.  It might not be the best steak you’ll ever have(I can almost guarantee it won’t), but the chances of buyer’s remorse are so low without the burden of higher prices.

--Aaron A. Aaaronson



 Signature Sirloin With Garlic Herb Shrimp (7 oz, Medium-Rare) with herb potatoes and seasonal veggies

1.  Price: $12.29

2.  Look


Not spectacular, but certainly more inspiring than the Chili's offering.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


A bit overdone, but I don't blame the budget chains too much for that.

4.  Taste

Like I said with the seasoning, this steak was bland. The cream sauce was nothing special, and the almonds and such just add texture. Sure, it's under 550 calories, but even with that caveat I'm not sure what Applebee's was going for. When you dump a pile of shrimp and cream sauce on a steak, I should think something other than, “This isn't as bad as I thought it would be,” but that wasn't the case here.

5.  Seasoning

Probably a C- here. The biggest knock I had on this meal was an overall blandness. You're Applebee's. You're a Will Ferrell punchline. Please, take a big swing at something with a strong taste.

6.  Bang for the Buck

I'd put it ahead of Chili's, which is really all the folks at Applebee's want, I'm sure. I certainly appreciate an attempt to offer a sit-down meal on a similar calorie count to Subway.  However, you can do better with $15. Unless you're desperate for asteak, I'd fill up on appetizers and beer. And if you're really trying to eat healthy... Subway, or a salad. At least the dressing could excite your taste buds, and either one will cost you less.

--Optimus Primerib

No comments:

Post a Comment