Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ground Pati

 I’ve been to Ground Pati many times through the years.  Pretty good burgers, decently priced.  It’s an easy-going meal.  Though I’ve had mixed experiences with the steak.  Again, this is one of those restaurants that isn’t saying, “Hey, come here for our steak.”  But remember my rule, if you’re gonna have steak on the menu, it should be a good steak.  So how was it this time?

Ground Pat’I
2512 Kaliste Saloom Road.  Lafayette, LA.  70508.
http://www.groundpati.com/index.html




12 oz Ribeye, medium rare.

1.  Price - $16.99.  Steak, one side, Texas toast, and salad.

2.  Look


The steak looks fairly appetizing.  A good, deep color with well-seared grill marks.  Slightly on the thin side though.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


This was one of the most puzzling aspects to me.  If you noticed, I kinda searched and searched before I took a picture.  I ate my way through half the steak before I just decided to take the cross-section.  There was relatively no pink in that steak, yet it was still tender.  I’m not sure if it was a marinade that penetrated below the surface or if it is just due to the ribeye’s nature it was able to stay tender despite being overcooked.

4.  Taste

A ribeye is a ribeye, but this was definitely on the low end of ribeyes.  Just from how it was cut and the general shape of the steak, it seems mass-produced to be a cheaper cut of ribeye.  The taste was below average out of what I would expect a steak to be.  That could be due to the texture of still tender, yet lacking a medium rare center.

5.  Seasoning

But if there was one place the steak has a voice, it’s in its seasoning.  It’s certainly not plain, and that might be the saving grace that keeps this steak from being down right bad.  With generous seasonings and good char from the grill, you can see the steak that this steak wanted to be.  If it was a better quality cut of ribeye, I think it could be on par with some higher end steak houses.  Even if it was just a tad thicker so to have a better definition of doneness in the interior, it would dramatically improve the experience.

6.  Bang for the Buck

At 17 dollars, this meal comes in just about a dollar or two too high for what you’re getting.  You definitely get a full meal.  With steak, side, salad, and toast.  You’ll be full, but the steak just underwhelms too much to call it a good value.  Skip the ribeye, go with the burger.

--Aaron A. Aaronson



Ground Pati's 12 oz Top sirloin, Medium-rare.

1.  Price.  $14.99.  Steak, side, salad, and toast.

2.  Look


Pretty good.  You can tell they're trying back in the kitchen.  That's really all you can ask for at place where burgers and chicken sandwiches are the norm.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


In a shocking turn of events, my first undercooked steak as a reviewer. I'll always take under ahead of over, but this steak definitely had a cool center and was a bit tougher to cut than I desired.

4.  Taste

Pretty damned good.  I wolfed the sucker down.  I don't know how often I'm going to pass up a burger or chicken sandwich at Ground Pati, but if I deviate at all it is going to be for this steak. It was really good by itself.

5.  Seasoning

Awesome.  Not since the Olive Garden have I come across a steak as flavorful as this one.  Lots of pepper and smokey taste.  A bit of latent heat.  It was unique and tasty.

6.  Bang for the Buck

Splendid. Remember that golden Olive Garden review?  That great Don's surprise?  Yeah, this guy is right up there.  Overall, I think an A- is fitting.  Another minute or two on the grill and this steak may have been #1 in this department.  Keep it in mind when the usual offerings aren't making your heart sing.  (Ed. Note: On price alone, this becomes the go to steak for the menu, considering the ribeye is below average and more expensive than the sirloin --AAA).

--Optimus Prime Rib

No comments:

Post a Comment