Saturday, September 3, 2011

Texas Roadhouse

I’ve been to Texas Roadhouse a number of times since it was built in Lafayette.  One thing I’ve always noticed, it’s always packed.  Lunch time, closing time, almost all the other times in between.  We even showed up at 11:15 when they open at 11, and it was already hosting a sizeable crowd.  So you know they must be doing something right.

5620 Johnston Street.  Lafayette, LA 70503
www.texasroadhouse.com






18 oz Ft. Worth Ribeye, medium rare.

1.  Price.  $18.29.  Steak plus 2 sides.

2.  Look



3.  Cooked to Doneness

This is a large piece of meat, and being a ribeye, is pretty much solid meat.  The first cut I made into the steak, looked perfectly cooked.  And it was.  But some sections of the steak were a bit more towards the rare side.  But as I said, this is a large steak.  Ordering a smaller sized steak if you want it medium rare or medium for a larger steak is probably the best way to go.

4.  Taste

It was a classic ribeye taste.  A little fatty, but not an excess amount.  Good ribeye flavor, good taste from the grill.  The steak was flavorful and juicy.  I actually don’t mind eating rare to medium-rare steaks, but if that’s a little too much for you, going a little further to medium or maybe even beyond with this steak would probably still be good.  The thickness and fat content will keep it juicy and not dry out the ribeye flavor.

5.  Seasoning

Again, it’s a basic ribeye flavor.  Enough seasoning to not be bland, yet not an overwhelming layer of spices to overpower the senses.  The one thing I will take time to mention is that I love the Texas Roadhouse steak sauce, Roadhouse Gold.  It tastes like a sweet A1, so that leads me to believe it’s some kind of blend of steak and BBQ sauce.  Maybe I like it cause it’s different?  But anyway, I believe it’s worth trying, even if you’re not a sauce person.

6.  Bang for the Buck

One of the first thoughts I had after the first time I ate at Texas Roadhouse was, “This is probably one of the best values in Lafayette.”  So maybe I’m biased, but I believe that hasn’t changed.  The steaks are reasonably priced, even cheaper among some competitor’s prices.  But unlike other places, the steaks are well done and tasty.  I know I usually don’t mention the other aspects of the menu, but the appetizers are good and also inexpensive.  And one more, the cinnamon butter that comes with the complimentary rolls is delicious.  I don’t like to fill up on bread, but it’s so good.

So Texas Roadhouse has a lot of things that appeal to me personally, maybe it won’t do the same for you.  But based strictly on Bang for the Buck, it’s very easy to recommend.  Just be prepared for a wait if you go during peak hours or on the weekend.

-Aaron A. Aaronson



18 oz Texas T-Bone, medium rare

1.  Price.  $19.99.  Steak plus 2 sides.

2.  Look

Beautiful. While the filet end would ideally be a bit bigger, it's pretty hard to knock a hearty T-bone.

3.  Cooked to Doneness

I'd give it a B here. It was a medium, and by now I hope you know I prefer a Medium-rare. Such is life. Steaks that large are a challenge, I'm sure.

4.  Taste

Num num num num num. Texas Roadhouse is like a backyard barbeque. Is it Ruth's Chris? No. But it is damn good, and I ate the whole thing. The strip side was a little bit tougher than I would like, but still good. The filet side was tremendous, as you would expect. Also, they have their own steak sauce and A-1 if you find the steak lacking true flavor. I walked out feeling pretty good about my choices.

5.  Seasoning

No shame in just enough salt to make me reach for my drink occasionally.

6.  Bang for the Buck

Not quite a howitzer, but a solid investment. It's good. The sides are good. Everything is good. You know how Chili's used to be, where everything was good and nothing was great? Well, take it up about half a notch, and I think you've got Texas Roadhouse. We'll be back to try more offerings, but I wouldn't shy away from the T-bone if you've got room for it in your belly.

-Optimus Prime Rib

No comments:

Post a Comment