Thursday, September 8, 2011

Don's Seafood Hut

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Don’s.  I had one steak here a couple years back that, in my mind, is the epitome of bland steaks.  I don’t know whose idea it was to just take a filet and throw it on the grill with no seasoning or anything and hope for the best, but I hope that person isn’t working there tonight.

Almost everyone I’ve talked to has a similar opinion about Don’s steaks.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard any rave reviews.  But they are called, “Don’s Seafood Hut.”  And I do like their seafood gumbo.  Now going back to my old mantra, if you’re gonna have steak on the menu, it might as well be a good steak.  Otherwise, don’t serve steak.

4903 Johnston Street.  Lafayetta, LA.  70503.
http://donsseafoodonline.com/lafayette/






8 oz Filet Mignon, medium rare

1.  Price. $25.99.  Steak plus one side(loaded potato or stuffed potato).

2.  Look


Don’s has that dimly lit ambient atmosphere, so I’ll try and describe the steak a little better if you can’t see it that clearly.  First off, there is evident char and grill marks on the steak.  That’s a huge plus in my book.  A small sprinkle of some herbs, maybe what was some garlic granules on the top and that was all she wrote.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


Damn near perfect so far, the inside of the steak was that deep, rosy pink that I love so much.  The temperature and color were spot on for medium rare throughout the entire steak.  Very nicely done, I must admit.  So no complaints thus far.

4.  Taste

With a perfectly cooked “USDA Top Choice Angus” filet, the taste was quite good.  Well beyond my expectations, considering my memories.  The charring can easily be tasted with each bite of the steak.  Being that perfect medium rare and a nice filet, the steak had a good tenderness with good flavor.  The char might be a little overpowering at times, but I considered it a welcome addition to a restaurant steak.  You’ll rarely see steaks that have that authentic, char-grilled look and taste.  This steak pulled it off.

5.  Seasoning

Good doneness, good taste, and good seasoning.  It seemed it was simply seasoned with just enough seasoning to enhance, but not enough to overpower the natural filet flavor or the char.  There was definitely a flavor though.  This one was my one main concern that I thought would be lacking, and I was glad to see I was wrong.  Just a simple touch on a good steak that’s cooked perfectly is all you need.

6.  Bang for the Buck

I have zero complaints about this steak.  The only one I could think of was also mentioned by Optimus, I just wish there was more of it cause it was so good.  Coming in 26 bucks, it’s on the north end of your average dining out steak, but I can’t say you’ll be disappointed.  I sure wasn’t.  No complaints about the steak, but the lack of sides is sort of depressing.  I don’t think Don’s is known for their sides, being a seafood restaurant.  I had a stuffed potato, which is basically mashed potatoes put back in a potato skin boat and covered with cheese.  Pretty bland, so I added some Salt/Pepper/Tony’s from the table to make it tolerable.

Considering how low expectations were and how very good the experience turned out to be, I’d be confident in saying don’t be afraid to go to Don’s and order a steak.  Don’s has the added bonus of being known for its seafood, plus offering quality steaks.  I have much more respect for The Hut now.

-Aaron A. Aaronson




9 oz Ribeye, medium rare

1.  Price.  $17.99.  Steak plus one side.

2.  Look


Well, I'll be honest: It ain't pretty.  That's the roundest ribeye I've ever received.  It looked to be slightly thicker than a round steak.  Don's did bother with a garnish, but I think this calls for a D or C-minus.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


Excellent.  As a guy who has worked on a grill, I can tell you skinny steaks are a challenge.  This one came out wonderfully.

4.  Taste

This may be the best tasting steak I've had for less than $20.  I was stunned given the lack of aesthetic appeal, but it was delicious and flavorful.  The little bit of char it had was a welcome change from the past few steaks I've eaten.  For a ribeye, I also found it to be more lean than average, which is something I really like.  A little fat is needed, but a lot just makes for a greasy bite and difficult trimming work.

5.  Seasoning

Also excellent.  I didn't need to reach for any sauce or shakers.  Good balance of salt and a bit of pepper.

6.  Bang for the Buck

I'd say this is the second or third best bang for the buck so far.  I had quite low expectations coming in to this, as the majority of those I know who frequent Don's have always recommended hamburger steak, catfish, or another destination entirely.  Well, either I got the steak on the best night ever, or those folks missed out.  I will go back at some point just to be sure, but for now, all I can tell you is I loved it, and I recommend it highly.

-Optimus Prime Rib

No comments:

Post a Comment