Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zea Rotisserie Grill

More commonly referred to as "Zea's."  I’ve always known Zea’s to be popular, and it’s not hard to see why.  All of my meals at Zea’s have been tasty and reasonably priced.  Being located right behind The Grand makes for a great dinner/movie combination, so I imagine that's good for both businesses.  Judging from the almost an hour wait to get a table, a lot of people have had similar experiences.  Zea’s also has one of the few menus where I have to put legitimate effort into figuring out what to order.  At least this time that wasn’t a problem.

235 Doucet Road
http://www.zearestaurants.com/site.php




Twin Filet Medallions, medium rare.

1.  Price - $27.50.  Steak plus two sides.

2.  Look



The sides were served separately so the steak presentation fills the whole plate.

3.  Cooked to Doneness
 

Introducing an all-new feature!  The cross section picture!  So now you don’t have to take my word for it on the doneness of the steak.  But it was pretty perfectly done.  Not overdone, not underdone.  Well within the medium rare sweet spot.  It’s hard to find much more to say other than it was cooked to order.

4.  Taste

With two well-cooked portions of filet, you’d expect tenderness.  A medallion is just an even smaller filet, maybe about 3 oz each give or take a little.  The taste of the beef itself, without any of the other ingredients on the plate, was delicately beefy and relatively flavorless.  I don’t think these steaks could stand on their own with just salt and pepper, but read on to find why they don’t have to.

5.  Seasoning

The Filet Medallions come with button mushrooms and caramelized onions and are finished with a masala wine reduction sauce and then topped with a roasted garlic butter.  The flavor of the filet is tender and flavorless.  Again, that’s not a negative comment, that’s just a fact.  It’s that fact that almost requires the addition of several other flavors to bring something memorable to the beef.  If I were to judge simply seasoning on steak, the filets would be pretty bland.  But with the sauce, caramelized onions, and garlic butter a delicious blend comes together to flavor the filets nicely.  The butter adds some saltiness with a hint of sweetness from the roasted garlic, one of the more appreciated aspects to me.  I wish there was more.  The masala sauce adds a deep, rich flavor that comes through the sweetness of the caramelized onions.  A well executed dish.

6.  Bang for the Buck

The filet medallions are the most expensive entrée on Zea’s menu at $27.50.  If you’re a light eater or filet connoisseur , I’d say they’re easily worth it.  If you’re a bigger eater, I’d recommend the ribeye(which is actually slightly cheaper) or one of their rotisserie options.  But if you’re dead set on trying the filets, I might suggest an appetizer too.  Zea’s has a nice selection of sides and appetizers that make the easily make the meal worth it, regardless of the additional cost.  The more reviews I do, the more I appreciate the luxury of having a decently priced, well cooked steak and meal.  Zea’s comes through on all accounts.






-Aaron A. Aaronson




Zea's Ribeye (medium-rare) with Tiger horseradish sauce, Corn Grits & Dirty Rice

1.  Price: $25.50.  Steak plus two sides.

2.  Look


Exquisite. Just look at that plate. I was excited to get to work.

3.  Cooked to Doneness


I'd give it a B. It was more medium than the customary order of a medium-rare would promise.

4.  Taste

Delicious. The steak was a bit more fatty than I would like, but it was tender and fairly juicy, and the sauce just brought every bit of goodness out of the steak. I took several bites of the steak without the sauce just to check myself, and the difference was pretty amazing. Also, the steak did have a bit of a smoky flavor to it. Subtle, but good.

5.  Seasoning

The steak is designed to be paired with the Tiger Sauce.. Without the sauce, the steak tastes pretty bland. So, on it's own, I'd say the steak needed a bit more salt. With the sauce, it was awesome. So, if you order this item, you'd better like horseradish or request some A-1.

6.  Bang for the Buck

Once you cross the $25 threshold, a steak should be satisfying and the kind of dish you crave days after leaving the restaurant. This steak delivered on its price bracket. The sides were great, as always. My only complaint was that my steak was slightly past the shade of red I enjoy. I guess the nicest way to put it is at Zeas, you can have your ribeye overcooked and still enjoy devouring the meat. It's that good and hearty.

-Optimus Prime Rib

No comments:

Post a Comment