Thursday, July 14, 2011

Longhorn Steakhouse

This was my first time going to Longhorn since it opened, so I truly had zero inkling what to expect.  Call me uninformed, but I don’t believe I had even heard of the Longhorn chain before they started building in Lafayette.  So we decided to have a lunch there and give it a go.

4248 Ambassador Caffery
http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/menu/default.asp



12 oz Ribeye, medium rare

1.  Price - $14.69.  Steak plus one side.

2.  Look


One thing that is very noticeable, even if it’s not so clear in my picture, is that the steak has a well-seared on crust of spices covering pretty much the entire area of the steak.

3.  Cooked to Doneness

Cutting into the steak, there’s a large, warm, reddish-pink zone, from top to bottom.  The ribeye was cooked damn near perfect.  As I mentioned, the same incredible, high-heat sear that crusts on the spices was well managed to cook the steak perfectly to order.  It was a good size cut at 12 oz, so it made hitting that sweet spot of medium rare perfection possible.  The internal temperature was warm and well within the medium rare specifications through the whole steak.  From the finest of fine dining establishments, to any given chain restaurant, you can’t cook a steak any better than this.

4.  Taste

Ribeye is my favorite cut of steak, I may have mentioned this before.  To me, a well-marbled ribeye will be equally as tender and flavorful(if not more so, up for debate) as a filet without having to shell out filet quality dollars.  Though with the ribeye, you’re getting fat as the vessel of flavor and tenderness.  The filet is all beef business.  Anyway, having already established this as a perfectly cooked ribeye, the taste was what one would expect.  The tenderness and full flavor of the steak itself merged with the seared spice crust nicely. 

5.  Seasoning

The spices had a strong salt flavor, almost so much so I kept detecting hints of vinegar.  It was a hearty flavor when combined with a slight finish of spiciness from pepper I’d assume.  Though it could have even been a Tony’s style seasoning blend, the steak did have a slightly reddish, orange hue in the crust as if from red pepper.  If you’re used to a less seasoned steak, it might be a tad overwhelming though.  I could see how the saltiness could some people off.  Either, this steak did not lack for seasoning.  I believe the spices blended very well with the ribeye and made for quite a delicious experience.

6.  Bang for the Buck

A 12 oz ribeye for 15 dollars?  It also comes with one side, all for under 15 bucks.  Coupled in with the fact that it was a very good ribeye and a side for under 20 dollars, I’d say you have yourself quite a deal.  It’s definitely worth a try, and even if you don’t end up being quite as big a fan as I am, you can’t knock the price.

-Aaron A. Aaronson



Renegade Top Sirloin, 12 oz, Medium Rare

1. Price - $12.49. Steak plus one side on lunch menu. (Signature side: Steakhouse Mac N Cheese)

2. Look

Damn near perfect. The steak was thicker than I expected, and for that, I was elated.

3. Cooked to Doneness

Perfect. I have a theory that the small floor of this restaurant works to its patrons' favor because the cooks have less steaks to focus on at a given time... My theory could be bogus, but the end result was great.

4. Taste

And here is where this review takes a surprising turn. I would give this one a 6 or so out of 10 on taste. It was entirely edible. Seriously, I finished the whole thing. It was juicy and warm. It just didn't finish well due mostly to excess salt, which leads us to a gong moment.

5. Seasoning

Failure. No one wants a bland steak, but invariably, a dab of steak sauce can save a bland steak. There is no saving a steak that tastes too salty. You have to douse it in steak sauce or just plain ignore the finish, and at that point I would rather have a good cheeseburger.

6. Bang for the Buck

It's entirely possible I got the one dud steak of the day. Given how well cooked the meat was, I would be willing to try again.

As an aside, the Mac n Cheese was awesome, and you should get it if you value cheese and bacon at all.

The sad thing is how rapidly what was to be an outright shining review given the price, look, and doneness of the meat fell apart on an issue as simple as salt. On this day, Beevo would not have been proud, Longhorn. Do better next time.

-Optimus Prime Rib

No comments:

Post a Comment